Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select category below to view more information on Grants

30 Fulbright Study/Research Grants


Proficient spoken and written Portuguese is required at the time of application. Consideration will be given to applicants with significant Spanish language skills who have begun study of Portuguese.

Grant period:

9 months, March to November. Candidates should plan to attend the arrival orientation and begin their assignments in Brazil in March 2015. Alternate start dates will not be considered, except in the most extraordinary circumstances.

Candidate profile :

Applications from all degree levels and in all fields of study are welcome. However, the following areas are considered a priority for 2014-2015: science, technology, agriculture and the environment.


All candidates must have an affiliation with an academic institution, except in extraordinary cases. Additional affiliations with non-profit organizations, archives, governmental agencies, etc., are acceptable and may be desirable depending on the nature of the candidate’s proposal. Graduating seniors and recent graduates are required to affiliate with a Brazilian academic institution and to enroll in at least one course, preferably two, per semester. Candidates are encouraged to state their host institution preferences and to obtain a letter from the institution indicating that courses related to the applicant’s research interests are available. Master’s degree and Ph.D. candidates should initiate contact with the host institution of preference prior to submitting the application. Letters of affiliation must accompany the application. Final approval by the Commission is subject to confirmation of an affiliation. If necessary, the Commission will assist selected candidates in confirming a possible host institution affiliation or recommending alternate affiliations.

Specific considerations:

Projects are encouraged in all parts of Brazil, not just the main population centers. Specifically, priority will be given to applicants who locate their projects outside of the urban areas of Rio de Janeiro and Salvador. Grantees may accept unremunerated teaching/research assistantships that are related to their projects with Commission approval. Qualified grantees should discuss their interest in such work with the Commission on arrival.

Research clearance:

Research in indigenous areas requires clearance that takes a minimum of six months. Grantees should check with their host institutions about how to apply for clearance.


No dependent support is available. Grantees must give proof of health insurance coverage for accompanying dependents, including provision for emergency medical evacuation.

120 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships


Proficiency (the equivalent of two year’s college-level study) in spoken and written components of any Romance Language is required. In addition, basic knowledge of Portuguese is strongly recommended prior to beginning a grant.

Grant period:

9 months. Grant dates will correspond to the academic year in Brazil, March to November 2015. The grant period starts with an orientation organized by the Fulbright Commission. Attendance at the orientation is mandatory.

Please note that selected grantees may not be in Brazil for more than three cumulative months in the year prior to the Grant Start.   Exceptions may be considered for in-country formal language study.

Candidate profile :

Applications are welcome from recent graduates and graduate students with experience working in an educational environment and, specifically, with classroom teaching. Candidates with degrees in English, applied linguistics or foreign languages, AND certification/significant coursework in teacher education or TESOL, are strongly preferred. Some full-time ESL teaching experience and TESOL certification may substitute for a relevant degree. NOTE: Because this is a student program, candidates with more than three years teaching experience or a Master’s degree in TESOL and more than one year of teaching at the time of application may be considered overqualified and not eligible for this program.

Nature of assignment:

In advance of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil, the Fulbright Commission is implementing a comprehensive plan to increase the quality and quantity of English teaching in Brazil.  The program will assign at least two Fulbright ETAs to the English language training center at each of the 59 federal universities throughout the country. Each training center will have two faculty members as coordinators and ten teaching assistants--two Fulbright ETAs and eight Brazilian English language graduate students.  These teams will work together to provide support in the teaching of English to university’s students.

ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants working up to 20-25 hours per week, but they will not be responsible for teaching entire courses. They will develop and lead language learning activities and classes under the supervision of faculty, and promote U.S. culture through cultural and social programs. The Fulbright Commission will match the grantee with the appropriate host institution. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the Fulbright Commission and the host institution and based on the profile of the selected candidate and the host institution’s needs. Placement can be in any Brazilian city.

Supplementary project:

Because teaching assistant responsibilities will be between 20-25 hours per week, grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their personal, career, and/or educational interests. Applicants should consider a project that they intend to pursue if awarded the grant and, since they will not know where they will be placed, keep in mind that these activities should be flexible respective to geographic location. For example, grantees may pursue a course of study, conduct research into topics or issues relative to Brazil, engage in specific volunteer activities, or a combination of these. Grantees may not necessarily be placed at an institution or in a location where they can effectively carry out the goals of their supplementary project. In these cases, the Fulbright Commission will discuss project alternatives with the grantee when the placement is made.


The grant does not provide financial or logistical support for dependents.  Also, because ETA’s are placed at universities throughout the country where limitations for family housing, schooling and/or child care may exist, it is not advisable for dependents to accompany grantees for the full grant term.  ETA placements are determined in the late fall prior to the grant start;  grantee requests for a specific location cannot be considered.

Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships in Public Health


Salvador, Brazil


Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
U.S. partner: Weill Cornell Medical College, New York



Post-third year medical school; Post-graduation from medical school.

Project descriptions:

Dr. Edgar Carvalho's research group focuses on the immunopathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and management of American tegumentary leishmaniasis and Human T-cell Lymphotropic Virus type 1 (HTLV-I) infection. The leishmania studies are based at a field site located in the village of Corte de Pedra, an endemic area 280 kilometers from Salvador, and the HTLV-I studies are based at the university hospital’s multidisciplinary HTLV-I clinic. Dr. Marshall Glesby, an infectious diseases-trained clinical investigator based at Weill Cornell in New York, has collaborated with his Brazilian colleagues for the past ten years and co-mentors trainees with Dr. Carvalho, in particular providing assistance with the design and analysis of their projects.

Examples of ongoing NIH-funded projects are:

  • Host and Parasite Determinants in Human Leishmaniasis. Leishmaniasis refers to a group of diseases that afflicts 12 million persons worldwide, with an estimated 2 million new infections occurring annually. All three forms of the disease--visceral, cutaneous and mucosal leishmaniasis--are prevalent in our study areas in the Northeast of Brazil. The Tropical Medicine Research Center has been funded by NIAID continuously since 1991. The current grant focuses on host and parasite determinants in human leishmaniasis, including the roles of parasite strain polymorphisms, immunological responses, and host genetic factors as determinants of the different clinical manifestations of Leishmania braziliensis infection.
  • Immunological Response, Viral Factors and Helminth Infections and HTLV-I Disease Expression. HTLV-I infects 20 million people worldwide and causes a debilitating neurological disorder known as HTLV-1-associated myelopathy/Tropical Spastic Paraparesis (HAM/TSP) and a T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. The prevalence of HTLV-I infection is about 1.7% in Salvador, Brazil. Previous studies of HTLV-I infection by Dr. Carvalho’s group have characterized the broad spectrum of disease manifestations in so-called HTLV-I “carriers” and the immunological profiles of asymptomatic and symptomatic patients with this infection. Current investigations, supported by an R01 (investigator-initiated grant) from NIAID, focus on determining the natural history of HTLV-I infection; host immunological and viral factors associated with disease expression; and the influence of helminthic co-infections on the immune response and clinical outcomes of HTLV-I infection. The basis of this work is an ongoing cohort study of approximately 500 patients with HTLV-I infection.


Salvador, Brazil


Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (Fiocruz), Brazilian Ministry of Health
U.S. partner: Yale Schools of Public Health and Medicine



Post-third year medical school students; Ph.D. candidates who have completed the first two years of their program; Veterinary School doctoral degree candidates who have completed their basic science courses and one year of clinical clerkship prior to the start of the fellowship year.

Project descriptions:

Fiocruz, the research branch of the Brazilian Ministry of Health, and Yale University have a long-standing research program in the city of Salvador which focuses on the health problems that have emerged due to rapid urbanization and the growth of urban slum settlements. The program focuses on infectious diseases such as leptospirosis, a rat-borne disease which is the cause of epidemics of pulmonary hemorrhage syndrome in slum communities, bacterial meningitis and dengue. Furthermore, Fiocruz and Yale coordinate an NIH-sponsored Global Infectious Disease Training Program (D43 TW00919) and have sponsored eight Fulbright fellows and six Fogarty International Clinical Research scholars and fellows in the past 10 years. Please contact the site PIs for more specific details. On-going projects for fellows include:

  • NIAID-supported, Natural History of Urban Leptospirosis (R01 AI052473) is a cohort study of 14,000 urban slum residents, initiated in 2003, which is characterizing the natural history of leptospirosis and determining the effectiveness of improved sanitation and other community-based interventions in preventing this zoonotic disease.
  • NIAID-supported, International Collaboration in Infectious Disease Research is a program (Disease Determinants of Urban Leptospirosis, U01 AI088752) applying combined field and translational research approaches to identifying the pathogen, environment and host-related factors for leptospirosis and its transmission. Projects in this program include active surveillance for leptospirosis and its severe disease forms, identification of virulence factors in the spirochete pathogen, development of environmental detection assays for the agent, and the use of proteome microarray to identify candidate antigens for diagnosis, prognosis and vaccine development. The long-term goal is to identify new intervention strategies for this neglected tropical disease.
  • Fogarty-supported project, Ecoepidemiology of Leptospirosis in the Urban Slums of Brazil (R01 TW009504), was initiated this year as part of the NSF-NIH Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Disease Program.  The project performs a systematic interdisciplinary evaluation of the reservoir host, pathogen, environment and social determinants of urban poverty which is needed to understand the timing, location and intensity of leptospirosis epidemics.  We incorporate eco-epidemiological studies of rat and environmental reservoirs with long-term prospective studies of slum (favela) residents in order to build an understanding of the links from leptospirosis in its rodent and environmental reservoir to the risk of infection in humans.
  • Fogarty-supported project, Transmission of Drug-Resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in Brazil, ( R01 TW007303), is tracking the incidence and risk factors for bacterial meningitis and the transmission of its causative agents, including S. pneumoniae, in Brazil. Furthermore current studies are determining the effectiveness of vaccine interventions against bacterial meningitis in urban slum populations.
  • Brazilian Ministry of Health and Fogarty-supported project, Disease Burden of Dengue in Brazil, is characterizing the transmission of urban dengue using on-going active surveillance systems and cohort studies in the city of Salvador.  The overall aim is to obtain baseline epidemiological information on dengue and prepare a field site for future clinical trials which will evaluate an inactivated dengue vaccine that is being developed as a joint venture between Fiocruz and private pharmaceutical industry partners.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.