Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select category below to view more information on Grants

4 Fulbright Study/Research Grants


A working knowledge of French or Dutch is useful, but not required, at the time of arrival depending on the location of the host institution. Candidates may wish to consult with their prospective host institutions about the availability of courses and programs in English, as well as the possibility of conducting research in English.

Grant period:

9 months, mid-September to mid-June. Fulbright Grantees arrive in Brussels for an orientation on September 16.


U.S. students currently residing in Belgium are ineligible.


Applications will be considered from well-qualified candidates at all degree levels and in all fields who arrange their own affiliation with host institutions in Belgium. The Commission encourages applications from graduate students whose projects involve full-time graduate study, or combine research and graduate advanced courses and seminars. Students working toward their Ph.D. degrees who can carry out well-formulated independent research projects will also be considered. Letters of admission and/or affiliation from host institutions are encouraged.

Music and fine arts:

Applicants within music and fine arts are encouraged. Although the Fulbright Commission in Belgium prefers affiliation with accredited institutions, applicants may be authorized to study with private teachers. Please note that additional personal funds will be needed to cover costs for private lessons, rehearsal facilities, studio space, etc.


The Belgian Commission provides no support for dependents of selected grantees traveling to Belgium.

Specific considerations:

Fulbright grants to Belgium are only for research or study at institutions in Belgium. Application cannot be made for the European Union program by entering the Belgian competition.

Applicants should be aware that tuition waivers are rarely given. Waivers of tuition fees are at the discretion of the educational institution, and applicants are responsible for requesting waivers. In the event a fee waiver is not granted, candidates should be aware that the Fulbright grant does not provide the cost of these fees. Please be aware that dual U.S./Belgian citizens must travel to Belgium on a Belgian passport.

2 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships


Basic/beginning level proficiency in French, German or Dutch is recommended.

Grant Period:

9 months, mid-September to mid-June. Fulbright Fellows arrive in Brussels for an orientation on September 16.

Candidate profile :

Candidates should be well-rounded, articulate, and have the initiative required to teach English conversation and culture in Belgian universities.  Assistants teach approximately 12 hours per week and may be able to take limited courses. Preference is given to candidates who plan careers in teaching French, German, or Dutch and who demonstrate initiative to plan and integrate cultural events into their lesson plans.

Nature of assignment:

The Fulbright Commission will place the grantee at Universiteit Gent or Université Libre de Bruxelles. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the Fulbright Commission and the school and based on the academic profile of the selected candidate and the school’s needs.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.