Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select category below to view more information on Grants

7 Fulbright Study/Research Grants


Proficient spoken and written Spanish are required at the time of application.

Grant period:

Nine months. Grantees must arrive during the second half of February or early March 2015 as most institutions are closed in January. The grant period starts with an orientation organized by the Fulbright Commission. Attendance at the orientation program is required for all grantees.

Candidate profile :

Applications are welcome from all degree levels. Ph.D. candidates should propose specific research projects in support of their doctoral programs.


All applicants are expected to secure an affiliation with an academic institution, research institute, or appropriate organization. It is recommended that recent graduates and students working toward a Master’s degree establish an affiliation with an academic institution for coursework or research support. Information on Argentine universities is available from the General Guide to Study in Argentina at www.me.gov.ar/spu/Servicios/Estudiar_en_Argentina/estudiar_en_argentina.html.  If your host institution requires tuition/fees, please contact the Fulbright Commission.

Specific considerations:

The Fulbright Commission in Argentina encourages applications for study/research outside of Buenos Aires.


A one-time payment of $500 will be provided to students with one or more accompanying dependents.

15 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships


Proficiency in Spanish is required. Successful candidates must be articulate English speakers with native fluency.

Grant period:

Eight months. Grant dates will correspond to the academic year in Argentina, which runs mid-March to mid-November 2015. The grant period starts with an orientation organized by the Fulbright Commission and the National Ministry of Education. Attendance at this orientation program is required for all English Teaching Assistants (ETAs).

Candidate profile:

Applications are welcome from graduating seniors, recent graduates, and Master’s-level graduate students with an interest in working in an educational environment. Candidates with degrees in English, Spanish, education, or TEFL/applied linguistics, with some experience teaching or tutoring are preferred. Other fields will be considered if combined with teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy. Please note that, as this is a student program, candidates with more than three years of teaching experience or a Master’s degree in TESOL at the time of application may be considered overqualified and not eligible for this program. Because of the nature of the ETA Program in Argentina, the preference will be for applicants under 30 years of age at the time of application.

Nature of assignment:

Grantees will be assigned to English teacher training colleges or universities in the Argentine provinces. Placements are not available in the city of Buenos Aires. Teacher training colleges, which train ESL teachers, may or may not be affiliated with a university. However, they are part of the Argentine system of higher education (Institutos terciarios). In order to graduate as ESL teachers, students attend four-year undergraduate programs. ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants, and will not be responsible for teaching entire courses. The Fulbright Commission and the National Ministry of Education will match the grantee with an appropriate host institution. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the Fulbright Commission and the host institution, and are based both on the academic profile of the selected candidate and the host institution’s needs.

Supplementary project:

English Teaching Assistant responsibilities will be up to 20 hours per week; therefore, grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their career or educational interests. Applicants should consider a project or specific activity that they intend to pursue if awarded the grant. Applicants should keep in mind that these activities should be flexible with respect to geographic location, since they will not know where they will be placed. Grantees may pursue a course of study, conduct research in topics or issues relative to Argentina, engage in specific volunteer activities, or a combination of these. The Commission will discuss project plans with each grantee when the placement decision is made.


No dependent allowance is available.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.