Fulbright U.S. Student Program

African Union

Select award for detailed information

Fulbright-Clinton Public Policy Fellowship

Award Profile:

The Fulbright-Clinton Public Policy Fellowship affords participants the opportunity to serve in professional placements in foreign government ministries or institutions and gain hands-on public sector experience while also carrying out an academic research/study project. You can read more detailed information about the Fulbright-Clinton Public Policy Fellowship and application guidelines.

The African Union is a multilateral inter-governmental organization focused on creating a peaceful, prosperous, and integrated Africa. It consists of numerous organs and a commission which acts as the AU secretariat and conducts day-to-day management. Fulbright-Clinton Fellows to the African Union will be supported by the U.S. Mission to the African Union, which engages extensively on joint projects to promote cooperation in four areas: democracy and governance, peace and security, economics and trade, and opportunity and development. Fulbright-Clinton Fellows will be placed at the African Union Commission and will report to mid-level supervisors who are in the employ of the African Union. They will not be placed in the individual delegations attached to specific country interests. The African Union Commission consists of 8 functional Commissions that oversee policy. Placements will be in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia rather than at AU offices in other locations.

Grant Period:

10 months

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All Fulbright-Clinton Fellows will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2017 in Washington, DC as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile:

Candidates for the Fulbright-Clinton Fellowship must:

  • Be U.S. Citizens
  • Have a Master’s with an area of focus that is applicable to public policy, or a JD degree OR be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program prior to the grant period which will commence in Fall 2017. Candidates who hold a doctoral degree at the time of application are not eligible.
  • Have at least two years of full-time, professional work experience in policy-related fields.
  • Meet the language proficiency requirement

Candidates who meet the eligibility requirements from all applicable public policy areas and academic backgrounds are encouraged to apply and will be eligible for selection and placement.

To learn more, read the profiles of the current Fulbright-Clinton Fellows.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Proficiency in English satisfies the language requirement but candidates with fluency in Arabic, Portuguese, or especially French are strongly preferred. Candidates with second language skills will receive preference.

Additional Information: Fulbright-Clinton Fellows will be required to effectively carry out a position in a foreign government ministry seamlessly. Meeting the language requirements is critical for completing the daily requirements of the professional placement. Applicants should also keep in mind that they will be living and need to function in the local economy. They should be cognizant of this requirement especially in cases in which the official or working language(s) of government differs from the language used in daily life by the local population. Proficiency will be determined by the application and also will be verified at various times in the application process, including an interview to determine language level.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: No

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Unlike the traditional Fulbright program, candidates should not affiliate with an in-country host institution during the application process. Candidates must not seek their own placements at this stage and must not submit any letters regarding placements/affiliations with their applications. Candidates who do not follow these guidelines may be deemed ineligible.

Application Process:

Applications will be accepted from March 31, 2016 to October 11, 2016. Please make sure to carefully review the Fulbright-Clinton Fellowship overview and application FAQs before you apply.


If you have questions about the Fulbright-Clinton Fellowship, please email Jermaine Jones.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.