University of Delaware

Fulbright Program Adviser(s)

Dr. Lisa Chieffo
Institute for Global Studies
Univ. of Delaware
Clayton Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
Dr. Daniel Bottomley
Associate Director, Global Contracts and Grants
Institute for Global Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, Delaware 19716

Institution Information

Campus Deadline: September 15, 2019

Current undergraduates should inquire with Lisa Chieffo; graduate students and UD alumni should contact Daniel Bottomley.

Priority Draft Application Deadline (Recommended): July 10 at 5:00 p.m.

If applicants wish to be assigned a UD faculty mentor to work with them during July and August they must do the following by July 10:  

Initiate an application in Fulbright's Embark system and submit the following to Katharine Kerrane ( as e-mail attachments:

·        a draft of the Statement of Grant Purpose (max 2 pages for research, 1 page for ETA, as a Word document, MUST be labeled with: name, essay type [Statement of Grant Purpose] and version 1;

·        a draft of the Personal Statement (max of 1 page, MUST be labeled with name, essay type [Personal Statement] and version 1), as a Word document;

·        for research/study proposals, a copy or current status of the institutional affiliation letter;

·        the names, emails, and titles of three recommenders, and their relationship to the applicant.

UD Fulbright Deadline (Mandatory): September 15 by 5:00 p.m. or by 8:00 a.m. the next business day if the University is closed on September 15.

By 5:00 pm September 15 students should submit their full application to Fulbright via the Embark site, and ensure that all recomendations and the language evaluation (if required) have also been submitted. Fulbright Program Advisor Lisa Chieffo will download the full dossier and distribute to the committee for review prior to the campus interview.

Candidates should have a faculty member or UD staff member review and provide feedback on both essays before the Sept. 15 deadline.

Campus Interview:  After September 15 each candidate will be interviewed by the campus committee, which will submit a written evaluation to Fulbright.  Applicants should be prepared to:

* discuss why they wish to conduct research or teach English in the particular country;

* discuss how the Fulbright fits into their future educational and professional plans. 

AFter the interview Lisa Chieffo will change each applicant's status in Embark from "Submitted" to "In Progress", thereby allowing candidates to incorporate any suggested changes into the application. 

Applicants are responsible for submitting all documents via the Embark system by Fulbright's deadline (October 8, 2019).

For downloadable information sheets and the interest meeting power point, go to

Past Grantees
Taylor Tewksbury
English Teaching Assistantship
Sarah Hartman
Briyana Chisholm
English Teaching Assistantship
Amanda Abrom
English Teaching Assistantship
Jacqueline King
English Teaching Assistantship