Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Past Grantees
Christopher Hiebert
Theology & Religion
Mitchell Wellman
English Teaching Assistantship
Hayley Anderson
English Teaching Assistantship
Elizabeth Stone
Art & Architectural History
Elizabeth Lyon
United Kingdom

University of Virginia (UVA)

Fulbright Program Adviser(s)

Mr. Andrus Ashoo
Associate Director, Center for Undergraduate Excellence
P.O. Box 400912
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904
Ms. Lisa Grimes
Assistant Director, Fellowships
PO Box 400912
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904

Institution Information

Campus Deadline: September 06, 2017

Undergraduates, graduates, and alumni of the University of Virginia, should please contact the Fulbright Program Advisor, Andrus Ashoo (aga3j@virginia.edu), for details about advisement, events, and timeline for participating in the university's process.

Alumni are strongly encouraged to seek out the resources available, even if they are abroad or otherwise out of the area. Many opportunities can be made available online, including one-on-one advising over Skype, etc.

There is a regular series of events to support national scholarships & fellowships: http://www.virginia.edu/cue/scholarships-fellowships-series.html. There are also a number of special events that do not happen on Mondays. Most will end up on that page, but check with Andrus Ashoo just in case. 

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.