Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Past Grantees
Liana Kallman
English Teaching Assistant
James Erbaugh
Andrea Gillespie
English Teaching Assistant
Dzovinar Derderian
Brinley Bruton
English Teaching Assistant

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

Institution Information

Campus Deadline: September 07, 2016

Eligibility Criteria: To apply for this program through the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus, applicants must (a) be U-M students or alumni; (b) be U.S. citizens; (c) have completed an undergraduate degree by the beginning of the award; and (d) demonstrate the language skills necessary to complete the proposed project.  Enrolled students are required to apply through U-M.  

Campus Deadline: noon on Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Students who declare their intent to apply by submitting the application by the campus deadline will receive the benefit of the campus interview and may continue to work on the application until the final deadline of October 10.  

Those who do not submit the items below by the campus deadline may still apply through U-M, and we will work with you to meet the final deadline on October 10. However, those who do not meet the campus deadline forego the benefits of the campus interview.

What must be submitted September 7 in order to get an interview? 

  • online application form*
  • unofficial transcripts 
  • statement of grant purpose (you will edit this again after the campus interview)
  • personal statement (you will edit this again after the campus interview)
  • letter(s) of affiliation (​if applicable- ​a placeholder email or status update will suffice) 
  • register 3 recommenders (you must have at least 1 letter submitted by Sept 16)
  • register your foreign language evaluator (if applicable)

*You must respond "University of Michigan - Ann Arbor" to question #5 in order for us to access your application.  (If you do not see this, please click “Update my answers to preliminary questions” at the top of the screen. Everyone must respond “Yes” to question “2. Are you applying as an enrolled applicant?” - yes, even if you are no longer technically enrolled.)

Advising: Prior to an appointment, applicants should familiarize themselves with all sections of the Fulbright website, paying special attention to the About, Countries, and Applicants sections. 

Questions can be sent to [email protected].

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.