Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Fulbright to the United Kingdom in Computer Sciences

Emmanuel Johnson

In England, Emmanuel completed his master’s in robotics and conducted research in human robot interactions at the University of Birmingham through the Fulbright-University of Birmingham Postgraduate Award. He was primarily interested in exploring how robots can use gestures as a way of providing feedback in a learning environment. Emmanuel’s work also led to an internship at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where he helped to build a user interface to control a robotic arm. Outside of his grant studies, Emmanuel volunteered in the Birmingham England via TEAM UP to tutor middle school students in mathematics. Emmanuel is currently a PhD student at the University of Southern California in the Computer Science Department.

“As the first student to win a Fulbright fellowship from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, a Historically Black College and University, the best advice I can give any applicant is to not be intimidated by the application process or pool, and just go for it. It is easy to feel discouraged if you haven’t gone to a big name school or if you find the application process overwhelming. Do not try to tackle the application in one sitting and understand that you are just as smart and prepared as students from any U.S. institution.”

Emmanuel Johnson

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.