Fulbright U.S. Student Program

2014 Fulbright-Nat-Geo Storytelling Fellow: Botswana

Daniel Koehler

Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling Alumnus Daniel Koehler world premieres his film, A House Without Snakes, at Full Frame Film Festival, in Durham, NC, April 7-10. Film Synopsis: For tens of thousands of years, the Bushmen have been living in an area of Botswana called the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. Since the 1990s, under government pressure, most of the Bushmen have been relocated to places outside the reserve. Caught in the midst of massive cultural and socio-economic changes, young men like Ketelelo and Kitsiso struggle to build their futures. Ketelelo looks to education as a way to reinvent himself and provide for his family. Meanwhile, Kitsiso wonders whether he should stay in his ancestral homeland to honor his father or seek a new life in town. Filmed during Fulbright-NatGeo Fellowship in Botswana, A House Without Snakes is an intimate coming-of-age portrait that explores the tension between modernity and tradition through the lens of two individuals’ hopes and fears.


A House Without Snakes - Trailer from Daniel Koehler on Vimeo.


Learn more about Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship.


Photo by Kebabonye Molatlhiwa

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.