Fulbright U.S. Student Program

2011 New Zealand Fulbrighter

Jessica Hinojosa

When speaking with my advisor before arriving in New Zealand he told me not to be surprised if I felt a stronger culture shock than normal when I arrived...

He explained that sometimes, when the language is the same it’s easy to expect a new place to be just like home when that’s not the case. I was nervous to hear this; was I going to misread New Zealand social cues? Would I be in a constant state of cultural confusion?

Luckily for me, I found a common language beyond English with the Kiwis, and that made the transition both easy and exciting. That common language is an unbridled love for the outdoors and an interest in understanding and protecting our natural environment. As a geologist, I’m fortunate enough to spend a lot of my “work” hours outdoors. I thought as a geologist in California, I was living the high life with amazing geological locations just a stone’s throw away (pun intended). Now that I’ve started my Master’s in geology here in New Zealand, the unique and remarkable things that are packed into this country continuously humble me. And with a square mileage similar to that of Colorado, it’s unbelievably easy to seek out these geologically thrilling locations. My first on-the-job adventure was a quick drive up the coast from the University of Otago in Dunedin, where I’m studying. I helped another geologist install sensors in an uncharted sea cave network – one of the largest in the world. We swam in wetsuits through narrow passages and hiked through placid chambers, making sure we knew how far the network extended and how pristine it is. After that day, I quickly realized that if this is what a day’s work entails, I’m right at home.


Fulbright Fellowship
New Zealand, 2011-2012

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.