Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Fulbright-Clinton Public Policy Checklist

Starting the Application

   Carefully review the program summary for the country to which you are applying.

   Draft a Statement of Grant Purpose that is feasible and culturally appropriate for the country of application.

  Develop Resumes in English and the host country language that detail your relevant professional experience. English Resumes should be uploaded on Affiliation Upload Page 1 in the Embark application. Applicants who are applying to host countries where the primary language is not English and who are proficient in the language should upload a second Resume in the host country language. Host country language Resumes should be uploaded on Affiliation Page 2 in the Embark application.

   Draft a Personal Statement that provides screening committee members with a fuller picture of who you are and what has motivated you to pursue this Fulbright opportunity.

   Consult with professors and/or colleagues with background in the country to which you are applying or those who have expertise in the field of study of the proposed project.

   Solicit critiques on the draft Statement of Grant Purpose from professors, advisers, mentors, colleagues, etc., and make revisions, as appropriate.

   Contact 3 individuals to write the reference letters. These individuals should be those who can speak best to your ability to carry out the project being proposed. You should provide a copy of the Statement of Grant Purpose to each reference writer.

   For candidates submitting Foreign Language Evaluations: contact the professor or other professional foreign language instructor who will complete the Foreign Language Evaluation form for the application.

   Obtain transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended.


Before Submitting the Application

   Check for typos—misspellings, capitalization errors, grammatical mistakes, etc.

   Make sure that all of the required fields on the Biographical Data pages have been filled in, including the Project Title and Abstract of Proposal sections.

   Check to make sure that the Statement of Grant Purpose, the Personal Statement, the supplemental Essay, your English and host country language Resumes, and your transcripts have been uploaded into the correct sections of the application.

   Confirm that recommenders and language evaluators have submitted their documents.

   Preview the complete application in the Embark system.

   Print a copy of the application for your records.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.