Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Checklist for Fulbright-mtvU Applicants

Starting the Application

   All candidates for Fulbright-mtvU awards apply at-large from their home states.

   Carefully review the program summary for the country to which you are applying.

   Consult the Required Supplementary Materials For Arts Applicants for the specific creative/performing arts field.

   Request feedback from professors/artists on putting together a professional portfolio of supplementary material to be reviewed by the National Screening Committee.

   Draft a Statement of Grant Purpose that is feasible and culturally appropriate for the country of application.

   Identify a potential affiliation in the host country and make contact with an appropriate person there who might be able to serve as your adviser and who could write the Affiliation Letter for the Fulbright application. Provide the author of the affiliation letter with a summary of the proposed project.

   Draft a Personal Statement that provides the screening committee members with a fuller picture of who and what has motivated you to pursue this Fulbright opportunity.

   Design an achievable Fulbright-mtvU Documentation and Outreach Plan.

   Consult with professors and/or colleagues in the arts community with background in the country to which you are applying or those who have expertise in the field of study of the proposed project.

   Solicit critiques on the draft Statement of Grant Purpose from professors, advisers, mentors, colleagues, etc., and make revisions, as appropriate.

   Contact 3 individuals to write the reference letters. These individuals should be the 3 people who can best speak to your ability to carry out the project being proposed. You should provide a copy of the Statement of Grant Purpose to each reference writer.

   Contact the professor or other professional foreign language instructor who will complete the Foreign Language Evaluation form for the application (for candidates submitting Foreign Language Evaluations.)

   Obtain transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended.

Before Submitting the Application

   Make sure that all of the required fields on the Biographical Data pages have been filled in, including the Project Title and Abstract of Proposal sections.

   Check to make sure that the Statement of Grant Purpose, the Personal Statement, and the transcripts have been uploaded into the correct sections of the application.

   Confirm that recommenders and language evaluators have submitted their documents.

   Double-check the supplementary materials to make sure that they have been uploaded properly and can be viewed/heard (for candidates applying in a creative or performing arts field).

   Preview the complete application in the Embark system.

   Print a copy of the application for your records.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.